Sorted header abstract pattern
Sort my 6 Steps Tools Guides Blog Moreabout Sorted
Search Icon search small

back iconBack

Start here

Sort my...
A man and woman are walking together outdoors and looking happy

back iconBack

Start here

6 steps to get your money Sorted
6 steps to get your money Sorted

back iconBack

All tools


back iconBack

View all

back iconBack

View all

back iconBack

More Sorted Info

View all

Your contributions to KiwiSaver are helping your future self.

When it comes to KiwiSaver, the more you put in, the more you will get out of the scheme. But how much should you contribute?

There's no one-size-fits-all answer. It can help to work backwards from your goals for a first home or retirement, and how soon either of those are for you.

Here are some helpful things to know when you're deciding how much to contribute. 


In this guide

Your KiwiSaver contributions count

You can contribute 3%, 4%, 6%, 8%, or 10% of your before-tax pay directly to KiwiSaver. We estimate that the difference between contributing 3% versus 10% over a lifetime of working can be $229,000 for those on an average salary, so a huge difference.

Take a moment to plug your details into our KiwiSaver calculator to get an idea if you're on track to achieve your goals.

Underwhelmed a bit? Try adjusting your contribution rate to see how much difference it makes. Finding a contribution rate that gets you to your goals and works with your budget is the key. 


Get $521 from the government every year

To get the full government contribution of $521 each year you’ll need to have made an annual contribution of at least $1043 by mid June. 

Sure, it would be great to get the full amount of $521, but just in case you don’t have the whole $1043 in your back pocket to top up, it’s good to know that any dollar you put in will get 50 cents in there with it.

Managing your KiwiSaver contributions

Find out how much you're contributing

Your KiwiSaver provider will send you regular statements and can tell you your overall KiwiSaver account balance, the return on your investment, and details of any contributions paid directly to them. 

In addition, you can keep track of the KiwiSaver contributions that you (and your employer) have paid to Inland Revenue by registering for MyIR on the Inland Revenue website.

If your contact details change, let your KiwiSaver provider know. Here is a list of KiwiSaver providers and how to contact them.

Change how much you're contributing

You can change your contribution rate by contacting:

The KiwiSaver website has more about changing contribution rates.

Top up your KiwiSaver with voluntary contributions

You can make voluntary contributions (lump sums or regular automatic payments) into your KiwiSaver account at any time, either directly to your KiwiSaver provider or through Inland Revenue.

To get the full government contribution of $521 each year you’ll need to have made an annual contribution of at least $1043 by mid June. 

There’s more about making voluntary contributions on the KiwiSaver website.

If you’re having difficulty contributing

You can stop contributing to KiwiSaver for between three months to one year. This is called a 'savings suspension’. You can stop a savings suspension at any time and restart KiwiSaver contributions.

Your employer doesn’t have to make their contributions if you take a savings suspension. But, if they choose, they can continue to make employer contributions.

Find more information, including how to apply for a savings suspension, on the KiwiSaver website.

If you suffer financial hardship before you have been in KiwiSaver for 12 months and have evidence for it, you may be eligible for an early savings suspension. This is usually for three months, although Inland Revenue may agree to a longer period.

If you suffer significant financial hardship, you may be able to withdraw some of your KiwiSaver savings. Find out more about early withdrawal on the KiwiSaver website.

A savings suspension gives you a break from making regular payments through your salary. But you can still make voluntary contributions or lump sum payments at any time, either directly to Inland Revenue, or directly to your provider.

And if your contributions total $1,043 for the year by mid June, you will still benefit from the maximum annual ‘member tax credit’.

Find out more about growing your KiwiSaver by making voluntary contributions on the IR website.

If youre self-employed or not working you aren’t required to contribute a fixed percentage of our income. So if you need to take a break from contributing it could be as easy as temporarily suspending your direct debit or automatic payment or withholding any lump sum payments. 

Employees currently contributing at a higher rate (eg, 4%) can reduce contributions to the minimum 3% of gross pay. Likewise you can increase your contribution rate if you wish to save more. 

Changing you contribution rate is easy. All you need to do is notify your employer in writing of the change, or complete a new KS2 form (which you can get from your employer).

There’s more about changing contribution rate on the IR website.

6 steps to get sorted

Don’t know where to start? Our 6 steps will help you to take control of your money.

Head to the 6 steps
sign up bar pattern
sign up bar icon

Want help with your money coming straight to your inbox? Sign up to Sorted.